Sunday, August 31, 2008

"What day is it?" or "There's a silver lining to every cloud"

I've been told it's Sunday. I'm finding this hard to believe. I went to bed Wednesday night, and one part of me thinks I should be getting up any second and heading over to the church and school to teach 8th grade confirmation. Another part of me is sure that six months have gone by since then, but there is no part of me which believes it is Sunday, and yet, I am assured that it is. Mary Jane assures me she shares my confusion in this. Hospitals are funny places, especially when you hit a phase where your not leaving them, it really becomes impossible to tell time. Everything slows down and speeds up at the same time.

"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path"
Many of you may be familiar with the Amy Grant song "Thy Word" (which has actually made it into some hymnals) The song has been going through my head a lot today. It comes from this Psalm (Psalm 119 "Nun" verses 105-112). It's an interesting image. So often we want God's revelation to us, His Word, His will, to provide us with a clear trip ticket to where we're going. Go thirteenmonths in this direction and then turn right at the major fork in the road, watch out for the traumatic break up with a boyfriend/girlfriend, avoid the rebound, take the second job offer on the right and proceed at a steady pace for 3.5 years. When you see the big sign on the left, stop and get married....
But it doesn't work that way. His word is a lamp to my feet, and a light for my path. I'm seeing, only what's right in front of me. As I pray "Our Father who art in heaven....Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..." I am again reminded, the path is not mine, it's His. We ask only for the wisdom from the Holy Spirit to know where to put our foot next. We know where the path ends (at the foot of the cross) and we are given wisdom to handle the next step in front of us, but we rarely, if ever know what the big landmarks and obstacles which will be in our way as we travel. But we fear not, because we do not travel alone."
With that in mind I am reminded again, we live day by day in His grace. Which is exactly where Mary Jane and I find ourselves. We are living in His grace and taking things day by day.

Some silver linings:
The girls are both good sizes for their age. This will help in the days, weeks, and months ahead.
The girls are in a fantastic hospital
The nurses and doctors there all know Mary Jane if not from a personal relationship (she works two floors up in the Cardiac ICU) then by reputation (Mary Jane is well respected and well loved by her co-workers)
Their vitals are stable right now
and...at least I get the first grandchildren now (my sister is pregnant and due in November) ;)
The girls are being prayed for by more people and congregations then I can count.

We have a long road to hoe. Some of my e-mail updates are likely to get grim (if the last couple weren't already). But know we really appreciate the love you have all shown us, and one day, Lord willing, I will get to tell this story to my girls (for the umpteenth time) at their wedding. And as they, you, and my wife all groan and roll their eyes (with a small smile on the inside because you like hearing it a million times but you just don't want to encourage one who gets so long winded and rambly) I will not forget to mention your part in the story. Because it is an important one.

Okay, well I have a half hour to nap...and I'm going to do it. More later...hopefully with some pictures!!

Lots of love,
Jason, Mary Jane, Parker and Emma Jane
(wow...that sure is a lot of names)

8 comments:

Kit Born said...

"We are all between the paws of Aslan"

mrweaverphysics said...

Reading your post takes me back to April of 2005 when I was told by the school nurse that Beth's water had broken. I can remember every moment as I tried to keep it together enough to tell my classes that I had to leave for the day and that I had no idea what was going to happen.

The sounds of Beth saying "it is too soon" (we were in week 32 or 33, no one really knows for sure) echo in my ears. With the help of the medical staff and faith (yes, I guess even I have some of that). We made it through.

I cannot know exactly what you are going through, nor is this about me. I have been in similar shoes and I am sending you all the love and support that I can. Even though our paths have not crossed in quite some time, lets hope that the next time they cross it is wives and babies in tow.

We can tell them all about movie nights, and calling 1-800 numbers off the anything we could find in your pantry.

Find strength in each other
Find strength in your love
Find strength in your faith
and find strength in all the strength that I have to give you.

Love
Weav

Anonymous said...

You and Mary Jane are two of the kindest and strongest people I have ever met. Please know that your family is constantly in my thoughts and prayers, particularly the two newest members. Emma Jane and Parker are members of one of the most amazing families I know. I love you guys!

Phil,Elise,Max,Alex and Sam said...

Please know that my family is praying without ceasing.

"For I know the plans I have for you." Declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future...You will seek me and find me when you seek with all your heart. I Will Be Found By You." _Jer 29:11

kosh_003 said...

Hey, just read everything that happened since I talked to you yesterday morning. First of all, congratulations! SO glad to hear Mary Jane and the twins are doing all right (and you, too)! So true what you said about God only leading us one step at a time. And as I'm sure you were planning to (still are going to?) preach on, we can only follow gladly. But for now, get your sleep.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm blaming you and hurricane Gustav for the fact that I just bought the third season of the West Wing today. :-) Suffice to say that when I get back from vicarage, you and I will have another show to watch besides Doctor Who whenever the kids are sleeping. ;-)

God's blessings and stay in touch.

Kobsy

Cindi Barrett said...

Jason-Thank you for your update, I'm hanging on for each one. Please give mary jane a huge hug for me.

marilueb said...

Prayers are being lifted for the Broge family.... love the names Parker and Emma!! Sounds like the Lord has surrounded you all in a blanket of love and prayers.

Thanks for the updates... Zion is praying continually for you.

Mara Noelle said...

dear Jason,
Well, one phase is over and now onto another, with two lovely girls to care for and tend to.
There is nothing like such trying times to deepen our understanding of what our relationship with God can be, if we so choose. Reliance upon God can be a tricky thing.

You have my prayers and best wishes to you and Mary Jane.

And hopefully someday we can introduce our families to one another :-)

With love
Mara