Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Comes to the Broges

So I'm sitting on the couch with the monkey in my arms, trying to keep her good and calm while Mary Jane prepares to give her a bath. Next to me sat Nana holding Emma Jane. The Chronicles of Narnia was just starting and we were sort of watching it, and sort of waiting to get the whole feeding thing started and sort of just cuddling with the babies. When all of the sudden there arose on the lawn such a clatter....at first I thought the neighbors must be having a party, and then I realized what I was hearing was singing. And I knew...I knew it was our small group. And sure enough...we were being "caroled" by our small group.
Tonight was the small group Christmas Party, and, truth be told, we Mary Jane and I were bumming about not going this year. Our small group decided to go ahead and bring the party to us. They didn't stay long (they had sick kids in their midst), but they brought with them food, song, and the "true meaning of Christmas". Something that is often missing during this time of year. They reached out to us, as they have so many times over the years, with the love of Christ.
It's funny. When Mary Jane and I moved to Saint Louis back in the summer of 2004 we did so with somewhat heavy hearts. We left a strong network of friends and felt quite lonely. It is hard to believe that in so short a time we could have been blessed with so many who would love and care for us so deeply.

Thank you.

3 comments:

Erica said...

We were so happy to do it. Just think how fun the party will be next year!

lizking100 said...

I think this blog post should have been titled "The cutest sound ever heard, part 2."

TrentonandLaura said...

You guys are easy to love!