Wednesday, December 3, 2008

God Bless Swings

Parker trying to pop her eyes out of her head.



Emma Jane being cute and awake for three straight hours.


They LOVE their pacifiers.



One day they will have head control.



Hi everyone. Its Mary Jane again. Sleep being at an incredibly low minimum and since Jason is working again this week, I have ample time at night I "get" to be awake. Neither one of us are doing so well at forming words or sentences right now, but I said I would post tonight so Jason could get a few extra minutes of sleep and since my eyes have to be open anyway.

The girls went to the pediatrician for the first time this week. We have seen her plenty of times in the NICU but this was their first official visit. Emma Jane weighed 5 lbs. 10 oz. and was 18.5" long and Parker was 5 lbs. 11oz. and also 18.5" long. Just to review they were 1 lb. 12 oz. and 1 lb. 13 oz. at birth and were both 13" at birth so we have come along way. Emma Jane is doing great. She always eats at least her minimum requirement and then is happy. Her blood pressure is going down so we are headed in the right direction. Parker was the main topic of conversation at this visit. Any of you that have had the privilege of meeting the babies know they are about as different as night and day. Parker has a lot of... personality... jammed packed into a little body. She spends the majority of her day grunting and not really eating but also she is very funny and makes lots of crazy faces and stares at her hand like its the coolest thing in the world. She will undoubtedly be the first to crawl, walk, talk, throw a temper tantrum in public, etc. But since we have come home, her fussiness and refusal to eat a whole bottle has increased. After some discussion with the doctor, we think she might have a touch of reflux and are going to get her started on some medication to help with that. I am PRAYING that is the problem because I feel so bad for her. She is getting better and wants to eat which is a step in the right direction.


There are so many strange things about being at home after being in the NICU for so long. No wires, no monitors, no lights always on, no one else directing their care. Sometimes I feel like we have all been sent home on a trial basis and if we fail, they are going to take the girls away from us again. This of course puts undue pressure on myself, Jason, and the babies and makes me want Parker to eat even more. I pray that I will be able to relax and realize these babies are here to stay.

On a completely different note, I would like to thank whoever invented baby swings. They are the best invention. Thank you to Kelly who let us borrow one so we now have two.

So all in all we are surviving. My mom gets here on Thursday and its not a moment too soon. We need help and of course the girls miss their Nana.

5 comments:

TrentonandLaura said...

They are absolutely beautiful, and you guys are doing a wonderful job. I have absolutely no doubt that the Broge babies will have the best parenting in the world! If you need a break to sleep....I'm up for it...I didn't get enough snuggle time with the babies last time!

Todd and Mary Wolfram said...

As hard as it is to realize it when you are suffering from serious sleep deprivation, this time in your life is just (INSERT holding your thumb and forefinger about an inch apart from each other here)THIS MUCH of your life and your life with the girls. Enjoy watching these wee ones grow because it happens all too soon. It will seem like TOMORROW, you'll be suffering from sleep deprivation because they're in college, or away at college, or out with friends, and you wonder where they are and what they're doing. And you'll always wonder, worry and pray. And yawn.

sprocket said...

hi there. you WILL survive! it DOES get better. Your girls are beautiful and worth the exhaustion. By the way, Huxley LIVED in his swing for four months. If he was awake: he was in his swing. I'm glad you have two. I miss you babe and are praying for you. LOVE, Mel

Somer said...

Congratulations Mary Jane. They are beautiful! I wish I could come over and give you a break. You did that for me plenty of days.

Shannon said...

I really miss those beautiful babies!! I was not done my conversation with Parker when I had to leave yesterday!! She was in the middle of telling me a story, no fair!!

I sure do love those Broge twins