Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"hole" lotta love

Four posts in one day. Wow. Things are getting crazy. We’re ending the day tonight with a movie. We picked something light, fluffy, “happy” (in the words of Mary Jane) and full of “love.” Tomorrow I go back to work. I’ll try to ease my way into things. There’s a large part of me that would like to just pack a bag and move into the NICU for the next three months, but life doesn’t work that way. Part of taking care of my family means being there at a moment’s notice for them (which I will need to be at times over the next few months) but it also means providing for them. Luckily I’m blessed with a wonderfully supportive church, and I like what I do. Both of those things will make it easier. As will the fact that I know they will understand if I ever have to jet to the hospital in an emergency. We are also blessed to still have Mary Jane’s mother with us, so Mary Jane will not be alone tomorrow. I’ll probably take lunch at the hospital and then head back over there in the evening after work.
The girls continue to be in a stable condition. The doctors began to see some things which made them a little concerned in Parker, so they did an echo and sure enough…she as a PDA as well. So they began her on the ibuprofen treatment. Tonight is Emma Jane’s third dose. Tomorrow they will do an echo on her to see if it has worked and we will proceed from there.
In other news it has been conclusively proved they are not identical. We were always 99% sure they weren’t but they needed blood transfusions today and it turns out their blood is different types. Parker takes after me (B+), Emma Jane is a mix between the two of us (O+) {Mary Jane is O-}. I’m sure none of you really wanted to know any of that…but there it is.
Oh, it occurs to me that the whole “blood transfusion” thing could sound a little scary (take a deep breath Liz). It’s pretty common in babies this young. They are always drawing small amounts of blood to run tests on and when you’re that small it takes a while to make more. They both handled it like champs.

Well here are a few pictures to get you through the night. Blessings.
Parker's toes. Who can look at something so amazing and not believe in a creator?
Emma Jane's toes...ditto
Emma Jane sleeping. The girl sleeps like her mother. The only thing that would make it more similar is if Emma Jane wedged her head between two pillows.
Parker sleeping. The sneaky little monkey has her fingers ready to pull her tube out. STOP Parker STOP!

3 comments:

lizking100 said...

Blood transfusions ARE a big deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Jane and Jason said...

Deep breath in...deep breath out...
(heh)

Matthew, Janet, Elissa and Sara said...

We have been keeping you in prayer daily,..many times daily! I love this blog - it's so nice to be able to look and see what's happening without calling and bugging you. PLEASE let Mary Jane know that I'm more than happy to come by when her mom does have to leave and you're at work. The kids are school all day and I'm not working! I'd be honored to help her, keep her company,...whatever you need. Hugs, friends!!!
p.s.
the baptism pics are priceless,...brought me to tears. What a blessing!