Monday, September 8, 2008

The Ups and Downs of Parker Broge

Just a quick middle of the day note to let people know how Parker is doing. She is still in recovery mode. Surgery isn't easy on any body, certainly not for one who is less then two pounds and can't even open her eyes yet. Her body is showing definite signs that it is stressed out (her blood sugar levels have risen again, she's holding on to that pee again etc.). This morning was particularly hard on her mother and I. She was looking all peaceful, maybe too peaceful we had never seen her not thrashing around. But then they changed her diaper and it became clear she was not okay. Her pulse shot up, her heartbeat escalated, and her sat levels plummeted. This was most likely due to the fact that she hurts. The name of the game over the next couple of days is going to be still and stable. Give her body a chance to get over the harshness of surgery so that it can begin reaping the benefits of surgery. All this said, no need to panic. She isn't in any immediate danger, or I wouldn't be at work right now writing this on my lunch break!

Emma Jane? Well, I'm glad you asked. She is continuing to obey quite nicely. She looked quite cute and happy to sleep the day away when I saw her this morning. And that is more then fine by me.

More info at the end of the day.

7 comments:

mrweaverphysics said...

You write updates on your lunch hour, and I feverishly check your blog every chance I can get.

Going through the NICU thing with Sam was an experience that I never will forget. Beth and I look at your pics and read your blog and just hold each other.

We remember what is was like for us, and at the same time cannot imagine what it is like for you both.

You have all the faith and love of those who are your friends and family. If I were still at Holy Name, I would have my kids in the chapel every day for you, Parker, Emma Jane, and Mary Jane. Being in a public school, kind of limits things. However, it doesn't limit what I choose to focus on in my quiet times.

So, don't be afraid to toss some of that stress and worry over my way.

Even though it has been years since we last "hung out", the bond of drinking Green Lightning and singing the Muppet Show Theme at the top of our lungs is one that is not easily broken.

I hope you don't mind my humorous posts from time to time. I am not trying to make light of the situation, but levity some times helps.

Looking forward to the day we can meet up again with family's in tow and tell them all sorts of stories that are embarassing enough for all involved.

All the best, and all my love
Weav

Mary Jane and Jason said...

Not only do I not mind your humouous posts...I crave them. Thank you. One day, Lord willing, these rugrats will be able to travel, and when I bring them home to visit the grandparents (still living in the same house in Mentor) we will have to get our families and share a "Green Lightening"...or something.

Scott and Valerie Akerson said...

Mary Jane and Jason
I have been reading since your girls were born but have not posted but I had to respond to today's post. Jason I know Scott talked with you at length about Camryn and (YES I would love to talk with Mary Jane)today was probably one of the lowest days you have had. When those babies are hurting and not feeling well all you want to do is hold them, kiss them and squeeze them and that is the last thing Parker wants right now and that stinks as a mommy and daddy. Just hold on to all the miracles God has already given and know that the second day post-op (tomorrow) might be a bit worse than today (I am sure Mary Jane knows that but I wish someone would have told us that. These are 2 amazing little girls with great and faithful parents. God bless you 4.

Steev said...

I'm also addicted to these blog posts. I'm sure they're incredibly therapeutic for you to write, Jason, but they also help all of us feel like a genuine part of your journey here... and trust me, we all want to be as much a part of these ups and downs as we can.

And it's good to see The Weav on here. Weav, you don't know it, but I've been invoking your name to Jason for about 12 years now.

Mary Jane and Jason said...

Ha! that's right you have.

Unknown said...

Jason,

Kelli and I are keeping you in our thoughts. Your girls are beautiful.

-Matt Stegman

Anonymous said...

It was so great to see you guys tonight, even if just for a minute. Hope you enjoyed dinner! You are always in my thoughts and prayers. I love you guys!